THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Monday, February 2, 2009

Getting away from it all...bad for your saddlebags....great for your marriage!

Hello royal subjects. It's been forever....and it feels like it too. I have had at least one sick kid/husband since Christmas, and finally Tinkerbell ended up with bronchitis which took all the rest of my free time giving nebulizer treatments. I am happy to say, we are all healthy now. Phew! (fingers crossed)

Life on the healthy wagon was going quite well. Despite sick children I have averaged 3 times at the gym per week. Most of our meals have been healthy, and I have felt like my jeans are getting loose. This past weekend my husband whisked me away to the Texas hill country (without children...courtesy of Mom and Dad) to the town of Fredericksburg, and all hope was lost. Since the Duke is teaching our children to speak German, we thought it would be fun to immerse ourselves in German culture. Despite the rave reviews of steakhouses and Mexican restaurants, we opted for German food the whole time. And it was wonderful.

The first night we ate at Der Lindenbaum. It is said to be the "most authentic" German food in the town. We were were weary and hungry from road travel and were welcomed with a smile and a warm cozy table. The only thing on the menu I has ever heard of was sauerkraut. I ordered a beef and bell pepper dinner that was served with warm red cabbage and German potatoes. It was amazing! The flavors were unlike anything I have ever had. So I even agreed to eat German the rest of the weekend.

We stayed in a nice B&B in the heart of town, but was also very private. The whole day Saturday we shopped in the historic downtown shoppes, and enjoyed more German food, leisurely had afternoon coffee together, shopped some more, then went out to dinner together again. I don't think we have been together that much since our honeymoon. Most of you married folk are surely groaning, but something wonderful happened. We got each other's undivided attention all weekend. We enjoyed awe inspiring silence (we have 3 kids) and knowing glances. We got giddy like newlyweds. Where has all this been??

It's easy to get carried away in our roles as parents. But much like we are called to put God first in our lives, our spouses are to be right there at #2. Reconnecting has made us happier, better parents. We are very thankful to have had time like this. Hopefully we will be able to do similar things more regularly. My NY's resolution to put more care into my husband seems to be having a positive affect on me. He actually went to the gym with us as a family today. What a great surprise!

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Good for you! That's a great post!