THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Things that make me even happier!!!

1. Tomorrow morning, my car will be in the shop to get it's instrument panel cluster replaced. We received a letter about a class action lawsuit against GM for the speedometer failures happening in 2003-2005 models. In response, they have decided to extend the factory warranty on the instrument cluster for 7 years or 70K miles. Thank goodness we are under it! No costs...no worries. So, after tomorrow, I will once again know how fast I am going!

2. N Texas is having some unseasonably cool temps for august. There is a lot of rain...and humidity. But who cares when it is 76 degrees??? Keep 'em coming.

3. I sang at church on Sunday with a group of friends. It is always fun to do this, but even more helpful to me when the Duke is around to hear. His opinion matters more to me than anyone since #1- he is an amazing musician, fully educated in the style of the music I prefer to sing and #2- He will always tell me the truth. Brutal or not...he is honest. And he said it was the best singing he has heard me do so far and recommended to Mr Choir Director that I do a solo next. I told him he has to pick it.
I've never really cared for my voice. In high school I was known as one of those altos who didn't really have a great voice, but could read anything cold. So I was in choir... 3 of them! But I wasn't that great. I didn't like my voice, and it seemed others didn't either. I've never had a big voice. I was rarely (if ever) chosen for solos. Then, after singing alto for years, I was told I could possibly be a soprano. I have never had any formal vocal training except 4 lessons with an Early music soprano, some coaching by Duke, and mostly ear training. After being married to Duke, I have found a place where my voice fits. My clear, non-wobbly sound has found a home. I have found a new confidence in the sound I hear coming back at me, and have really enjoyed singing this past year. And it feels really good to be told by my husband (who by the way is extremely critical in a good way) that I sounded like a professional. Yay!

4. Did I mention school starts on Monday???

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I had no idea that you haven't had formal training. Given your voice and your skill, I thought you had years of professional work under your belt (and felt very inadequate singing next to you).

But I get so much out of singing next to you!

The trio was GORGEOUS. Carol B stopped me and said she had goose bumps!