THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

New Beginnings (and Battles)

I hate them. Starting something new requires momentum, and I've never been one with much to spare. It's like walking into a party and being the first one there. You have to make an effort with the hostess and guests to get the conversation going. I can do it...but I don't LIKE to do it. I like to be fashionably late, make my entrance, and then find the cake! (mostly applies to weddings and birthdays). Now that we have 3 children I will probably never be on time to anything...EVER.

Today I started my new post-partum diet and workout plan. Thus I begin the "battle of the bulge". It's not really a diet (remember to keep the dairy farm going, I must feed my boobs), but a healthier take on food. Before I started, I had to take my pre-measurements. OUCH! I have 3 sizes to go before I should even bother to open my closet. The working out is just grueling. I never knew I could sweat so much. It's gross. I feel gross. These cute little women with high butts and tight legs are prancing around the room and I'm squishy (and sweaty) and out of breath after a few minutes of stretching. My (2 time) post baby body leaves much to be desired. My stomach hangs over my C-section scar, my thighs touch and the rest of me jiggles. If our OB's were really on our side they would ok exercising 6 weeks before they approve sex. Or at least tell our husbands that!

Another new beginning is that our middle child, Sunshine, just turned one yesterday and I am embarking on a crazy journey into toddler hood with her. She's a dream, the Sunshine of the family. She greets us with smiles and heaps of kisses, and she gives out those kisses to anyone she likes, whether they want it or not. If she hears music of any kind she dances as if no one's watching (but then checks to make sure you are). However, we are also entering into the world of tantrums and the "battle of wills". I can honestly say I am not looking forward to this one.

And, as August draws near its close we embark on our Back to School journey. Our oldest child, Drama Kid, starts 2nd grade. The BTS grind isn't necessarily about going to school or shopping for clothes, but getting on a regular bed time routine and schedule. You see his father, the Ex, sees bedtime as an optional portion of my sons schedule. It's annoying. One night I heard of him staying up until 4AM. They were on the lake fishing and lost the keys to their car. They finally went home, via Taco Bell, and DK still brags about it. I am not looking forward to the nightly "bedtime battle".

All this wouldn't be so bad if the baby of the family, Tinkerbell, didn't have colic. She screams nightly from 6:30-9:30. You can literally watch the clock and she will start within minutes of the minute hand passing the 6. It's exhausting. It takes a lot of the fun out of being a new mommy. One good thing I will say is that it helps her sleep "through the night" (about 11:30-5AM).

As I sit here and type (while TB is screaming her head off), I keep saying to myself "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change..."

2 comments:

Mrs. Swizzle said...

I'm not looking forward to bedtime battles either. With school starting Wednesday, it should be interesting.

It's been a long summer, but somehow the start of school seems to be sudden.

Mary Beth said...

oooohhhhh...colic.

Gag.