THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Friday, August 31, 2007

Miracle drug

Our visit to the Dr yesterday was enlightening. Tinkerbell has a clear nose and ears, but there is an infection in her left eye due to a clogged tear duct. Sunshine had a clogged tear duct as a newborn, though it was never infected. Hers resolved on it's own without treatment. I hope TB's clogged duct heals on it's own as well. I have known she has one since her 2 week visit, but it has never caused a problem until now. Her eye was draining green goo at the visit....yuck! Probably because she was crying so much the night before. So now we have antibiotic drops for both eyes and she's on her way to those sparkly baby blues again.
Since there was no apparent reason for her screaming into the night, such as an ear infection, the Dr. mentioned that she might be a "closet reflux case". Most babies with reflux spit up and spew all the time. They cry after nearly every feed because their tummies hurt so much. TB rarely spits up, but with the crying her Dr. wanted to start her on some Axid (a name brand medicine similar to Zantac). She gets a 1 mL dose twice a day. I took no chances and gave her the first dose in the office and crossed my fingers. The stuff tastes awful and numbs your mouth. Half of it came back out at me and all over the exam room table. Hope they didn't mind cleaning up my mess.
Last night as 6:30 rolled around I started getting nervous as usual, but TB was sleeping. She slept until about 7, woke up, looked around for awhile, then whined a bit. She was hungry. I fed, burped and changed her and handed her to my mom so I could play with Sunshine. Tinkerbell was cooing and playing too, she was smiling back at my mom. Mom said she didn't know who this baby was. I told her that TB's personality is normally like that during the day...she just sees her at night when she is crying.
What a difference it made! The girl hardly made a peep all night. She got a little fussy before bedtime, but we rocked for five minutes and she was out cold. She went to sleep around 9:30 and woke up at 4:30 AM to eat again. That is the longest she has ever slept at one time. She nursed a bit, and went back to sleep again until 7:30. Now she is sitting behind me in her Boppy playing quietly and cooing. Wow. This is what sleep feels like. I am not going to say, nor believe, this medicine has solved all our problems, however, after one night of decent sleep my hopes are high for a few more nights like this! Keep your fingers crossed for us.

2 comments:

Mrs. Swizzle said...

Sing it with me...HALLELUJAH!!!!

Mary Beth said...

Praise the LORD!

My nephew had that. I'm so glad you got it diagnosed and some meds, that is WONDERFUL!!!