THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Thursday, October 18, 2007

How many music dorks does it take to find a swing song?

After my pity party post last week, I realized I was headed in a direction I did not like at all. So, I went up to the Duke that evening and said "Hey, I'm not happy....and here is why....I feel hurt because you....and p.s. I DESPERATELY need you for me to get through this". We talked it all though and. since then, I have made my husband a priority instead of penciling him into my life. I have been a different person since. What a change! We both are making the effort to hug, touch, smile, hold each other up in rough times, and share in the glorious circus of raising our girls. I am tired, but I don't care....I am happy. I highly recommend it! Besides, if for no other reason, make-up sex ROCKS! :)

So, last night Tinkerbel would not calm down. She ended up, as she does most nights in the swing. Side note: Parents-to-be....you HAVE to have a swing. It WILL save your life! Maybe not your sanity as notedbelow....but definitely your life!

Ok, back to last night.

TB was in the swing. We had the music and the lights going and she was looking around calmly and enjoying her swing. Being as that we are both musicians (even though I am not a professional), we have a huge problem with the music on pretty much any baby toy. We criticize, cringe, and vow to make baby toys more tolerable....one of these days. (Sigh) Our swing has about an 8-9 song repertoire that randomly shuffles each time the swing is turned on or the music reset button is pushed. It plays about 5 songs for 10 minutes, then shuts off.

So....we are laying there together, talking about our day... listening to this crappy swing music that is keeping our daughter from waking up the rest of the house....

Me: "Honey, remember when Sunshine used this swing?"

Duke: "Yes."

Me: "that one day, you were getting ready for church and made some comment about the awful version of Pachelbel's Canon in D?"

Duke: "Um, vaguely"

Me: "Well, TB has logged many swing miles lately, and I have to say I have not heard the Canon. Are you sure it was the Canon? Cause I have not heard it since. And....in all honesty....I think you were wrong about it being the Canon in the first place. The melody is all wrong."

Duke: "Maybe it was another toy".
Me: "Nope, I'm sure it was the swing"
Duke: "Hmmmm. Well I remember that it doesn't play it that often"

Meanwhile the swing is playing a John Denveresque tune that we have pretty much memorized.

We start singing together. "Da da da da da da....da....da.....da da do da do."

We look at each other and keep singing along.....

Duke: "Why do we know this? And why are we singing it?

Me: "Oh cool.....here comes that crappy bridge part"

Now we are humming with hand motions. In the middle of said crappy bridge, for some bizarre reason it changes keys and goes back to the Denver melody.

Duke: "Rough transition."

Me: "Yeah they didn't plan that one well.....ouch!"

TB swings on and this repetitive soft drum sequence starts. Bum... bum bum bum....bum bum bum.

Me: "Ah Twinkle twinkle little star"

Duke: "Or is it the litte drummer boy?"

Me: "LOL......(singing) up above the world so high"

Duke: "they ruined it with that stupid drum thing"

Me: "TB seems to like it"

Duke: "Yeah....I need to play her the REAL version"

Me: "Drama has a mean recording of the Swingle Singers doing Twinkle"

Duke: "I said the REAL version....you know Mozart??"

Me: "Well yeah! Duh?"

Song changes again to Brahms lullaby.

We hum the first verse......thn start the 2nd.

Me: "Why'd they rewrite the melody on the second verse? It totally blows.

Duke: "I could write better crappy swing music"

Me: "Yeah you should do that....who writes this garbage anyway?"

TB is now asleep in the swing and the music stops.....the Duke gets out of bed and hits the reset button.

Duke: "Oh I can't stand this song"

Me: "Me neither....I think this is the worst one."

Yet for some reason, w continue to hum along.... in parts.

This goes on for three ten minute cycles. I finally get up and say "I STILL have not heard the Canon"

Duke: "I told you they don't play it often"

So, I stand at the swing and turn the music button on and off so it shuffles the music with each switch flip. After several tries, the Duke says...
"Wait! That's it!"

Me: "No it's not. That doesn't sound like it at all.....but it does sound a lot like John Denver"

The Duke starts humming the Base line of the Canon with the swing music. I can hear it.

Me: "oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.......woooooooooooow. "

Duke: "See BAD arrangement"

Me: "Yeah, you were right....that is bad. Didn't even recognize it.
It's more like Crappy Canon in F"

Duke: "Or B flat! Sounds like some awful wedding ...or possibly John Denver arrangement"

Me: "Yeah, let's turn this crap off....TB is asleep anyway. Which means I should be too!"

Disclaimer:
This post in no way affects or undermines the gratitude we feel towards the friends who let us borrow crappy music swing.....and other various baby items. They are some of the best friends two music dorks could ever have! We love you Mama King! :)

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

This cracked me up!

K and I have been through a similar difficult and then very sweet time lately. I mentioned to him on the way to choir the other night how much I had enjoyed our time together lately. He got a little paranoid!! :) That means to me, more of the same is needed.

Anonymous said...

Be glad that we didn't loan you the crib mobile! Caught B humming the tunes on many mornings as he was getting ready for work. You could make lots of money if you could figure out better music.