THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Monday, September 10, 2007

Home...more than where the heart is

One of my mommy friends, Amanda, invited me to join a MOPS group here in town. I had always heard about these groups, but never gave much thought to joining one. Besides, until last August, I have not had a pre-schooler in several years.
The morning was a rough one. I had to drive Drama to school instead of our usual walking routine because the cats and dogs of the world were falling down....on our house. I tried using an umbrella to avoid getting wet, but it was no use. I was drenched from head to toe. My hair started kinking up and frizzing and my glasses had smears across the lenses. My closet seemed to be laughing at me as I looked longingly inside for the perfect outfit. Being as that I was still crampy and the sound of the rain was lulling me back into sleep, I wanted to call A and cancel. I called her and meagerly asked what the dress code was. She said it was casual. A woman had even worn pj bottoms last year. My excuse was gone so I quickly pulled myself together, grabbed Tinkerbell and headed out the door.
I arrived to a nice surprise. The ladies were welcoming and friendly, happy and non-judging. New moms like me had their tiny ones with them and nursed their babies in the room wihtout anyone glaring. I was expecting a sorority and instead I found a bunch of moms (just like me) who dearly love their children, their spouses, and most importantly, God!
We had a nice breakfast and coffee and chatted about our children and other things. Then we watched a video about the theme for this year. The Home Factor. From "cocoon to launch" is a phrase we kept hearing. What I got out of it is that home is where the transformation happens so you can send your children out into the world as butterflies. How do I want my home to function? How can my environment nurture myself and my family as living creatures of God to the glory of his name?
When I think of my home right now I just think of the physical, messy, cluttered building I wake up in and go to sleep every night. But there is so much more to home. Home is where we build the values that make us who we are. Sounds like much more important job to be a "home maker" when you think of it this way instead of someone who sits around watching soaps and doing occasional laundry. Before I had been ashamed to say I am an at-home mom. But now I feel like a huge challenge awaits me with an enormous reward down the road. My children's futures depend on the home environment I provide for them right here....right now. I hope to launch 3 fantastically beautiful butterflies one of these days...when they are ready....whether or not I am.

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Glad you see it that way! I sure do. It's the hardest and most important job there is.

Mrs. Swizzle said...

I'm glad you made it to the meeting. When I saw the weather, I was pretty sure I'd skip - if I'd planned to go in the first place.