THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Godsend

Last Sunday after church the Duke told me about a discussion he had with one of his choir members, JM. JM came to him with teary eyes saying she felt it in her heart that God was calling her to reach out and help our family. She is off work every other Friday and asked if she could come over and sit with the children while I get some things done.

I have met JM before, but I wouldn't say I know her at all. I have had many offers by friends, church folk, and neighbors to come help before. Sit with the kids, take one or the other kid, do laundry, help with chores, etc. But I have never had the ability to say yes, and recognize that I do need help. Here in the midst of Lent I was thinking "Who am I to not let someone follow through on a call they believe is from God?" and with the help of our trusty friend, self-examination, I have accepted the fact that I can not do this on my own to my satisfaction and still have time to enjoy my children's youth.

I realized a few nights ago that I don't play with my children often enough. We have moments here and there. But most of the time I am trying to pacify and occupy them long enough to get something done around the house, to go workout, go to the store, fix dinner, etc. I definitely don't want to miss out ont hese great years, so I am going to have to suck it up and accept help when it is offered.

Accepting JM's offer was exceedingly difficult. She came over around 10 (I was still in my pjs which wa very uncomfortable for me). JM raised 4 children, so she understands being in your jammies all day. She walked in, sat down with the girls and immediately started breaking the ice wth our shy Sunshine. I knew she's be a hit with Tinkerbel, and she was. SS didn't take her eyes off me the whole time I stayed downstairs.

I hung around for awhile letting the babies warm up to her. I made myself some coffee, breakfast, and sat down and ate it while it was warm. Yum. I've missed that. During this time she had rocked TB to sleep, laid her down in her crib and was building blocks with SS. She seemed ok, so I went upstairs and washed my hair, shaved my legs, dried and curled my hair, put on make-up and got dressed. All without children running around the bathroom pulling things off the vantity. It was so wonderful.

After my shower I put SS down for her nap and JM folded a load of laundry. Then TB woke up and JM told me to just get out of the house, take a drive, do whatever. I only had an hour since she had to leave at 2:30. So I got in the car and did various errands. I ot to roll the windows down since there were no babies in the back and it was a glorious day.

It wasn't too bad. I still felt akward accepting help. She asked several times if she could clean a bathroom or two and just couldn't ask her to do such a thing. Not right now. Maybe I'll get there....someday. Baby steps.
In the mean time, God Bless JM!

2 comments:

Mrs. Swizzle said...

All I can say is ... SWEET!!!!

That's fantastic!

Mary Beth said...

Really! A totally awesome gift!

That thing D. was doing last night? I SO remember doing that at that very age.

:) This too shall pass!