THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Compline

One of my favorite things about being an Episcopalian is all the tradition and beautiful liturgies. Sometimes it's almost like going to a magical performance. Not to detract from the reverance of it all, but you would have to see what I am talking about to fully understand where I am coming from.

Compline is basically evening prayer. It is the last Office of the day....sort of a way to wind down before sleep. It is completely sung, many times by candlelight only. Last night we started a journey toward a monthly Compline service at our church. The Duke has agreed to lead the music and choose singers to complete the choir. We are both really excited about it. For me, mostly because we finally get to make beautiful music together and because I feel very strongly about offering this type of service to our community.

The music is not for everyone. Most of the repertoire comes out of Tudor England in the 16th century. William Byrd, T. Tallis and John Sheppard are among the composers you will hear at Compline. There are also a few readings (chanted not read) and prayers (again, sung) that complete the entire service which lasts about 30 minutes. It is ethereal, soulful, and incredibly beautiful.

The Duke still has a few things to tweak: dates to pick out on the church calendar, singers to find, details to nail down. We hope this will be a prayerful and spiritual experience for those who attend. It's a time you can come into church an just be in God's presence with no need to sit, stand, kneel, read or participate in any way. You can just be. I think we could all use more one on one time with God.

Last night's Compline was a great start. The Duke hoped the choir had been a little more involved with the music and less buried in their books...but it was a great start to something that will hopefully grow in the hearts of all people in our area regardless of religious affiliation (Compline is non-denominational). I look forward to working with my dear Duke. He has such an amazing talent for music, and we both share a great passion for Early Music in general. Plus it feels kind of dirty, in a good way, to be "sleeping with the director". LOL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Compline is my favorite service with me fave prayer - I'm sorry I missed it!

Mrs. Swizzle said...

It was a wonderful service. I totally agree that we need that time to just be.

Mary Beth said...

It was GRAND.