THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Looking in the window of life

I took a friend of mine to the OB yesterday to have a sonogram. She is on strict bedrest and I offered to drive her. Of course I wanted to help a friend, but some of it was pure selfishness.
Here's why.

I LOVE sonograms. Not just my own, any sonogram. Peering into the amazing human body (ok, especially my own) and watching a life grow week by week is about the most fascinating thing I have witnessed in my life.

Some of you may or may not know that I had weekly sonograms and NSTs with both of my girls from about 22 weeks. With Sunshine it was gestational diabetes, with Tinkerbel it was oligohydramnios (low fluid). Every week I laid there and watched in amazement as their features became more human-like and they would move: yawn, suck their thumb, hiccup, etc. It was like time stopped for 15 minutes. I never got tired of it.

I loved it so much that towards the end of my last pregnancy I decided I would like to be a sonogram tech when I grow up. It seems to be my calling. I feel a deep desire to learn the art.

And so I begged my friend DM to let me go and be a bystander. Nothing had changed. It still moved me when we saw the first glimpse. She looked at the placenta first. I must add that I have seen so many sonograms in the last two years, I can pretty much tell what structure is being measured. She checked presentation and found out the baby had moved from a breach to a vertex position.(YAY! She gets to try a regular delivery). We saw the face so clearly it was like we were looking at the real thing. His arm was resting on the forehead, completely oblivious to our intrusion and the fact that he will be rudely pushed into joining us in this bright cold world next Wednesday.

I find it fascinating, amazing, beautiful and I hope I can start my career sooner rather than later. Going yesterday made me even more excited. Now if I can just find a rich 2nd cousin to fund my certificate

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Ooh, I'm excited for your new career! and you'll get to wear scrubs everyday...my ideal job!!

:) Glad you made it last night! It was good to see you and good to sing with you.